Saturday, March 15, 2008

Abigail's Birthday Party

To celebrate the culmination of Abigail's thrid year, we threw a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday party. My brother's kids were half of the party-goers (Cecelia, Nicea and Ferd), plus Abby had a neighbor-friend (Bobby) and another friend (Lia). So, introducing the star of the party, MINNIE MOUSE:


Following the "mystery" format of Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse, the kids made binoculars to look for clues then went on an egg hunt. They were so cute looking through their binoculars for plastic eggs.


The kids colored their "Goofy Fliers" and my sister-in-law (Katie) and I helped fold them so they could "race" their paper airplanes. What a blast!


The kids played "Pin the Bow on Daisy," Musical Chairs (couch cushions, actually) and London Bridges. Then they danced their little hearts out to other songs on the Mickey Mouse party CD. We placed red, yellow and blue feet cutouts on the floor, which they had to stand on whenever I stopped the music and called a color. The 4 girls took to it immediately and pretty soon, the 2 boys were dancing along having a great time too. I was too busy leading these games and dancing along to get pictures of their adorable faces, but here are their intent little "Mickey Ears" paying attention to instructions...


The Mickey Mouse cake was a joint effort between Justin and myself - he baked and frosted, I decorated. (It reads, "Happy Birthday Abigail Ruth.") We love cake and ice cream!


After attending several other birthday parties recently, Abigail was thrilled to have the attention on herself, especially come present time!



Abigail took great pleasure in giving favors to her guests, including brightly colored, personalized punchballs. Afterall, what's a birthday party without balloons? Fun thing is, we hung these from my mom's kitchen track lighting, so they acted as party decor. Plus, these will last a lot longer than helium balloons. The kids also left with Mickey Mouse Club Packs, backpacks that I made out of paper grocery bags, filled with all kinds of Mickey goodies!


Being Abigail's first themed birthday party, we really got into all the fun Mickey Mouse decorations, activities and goodies, and with a little creativity - and time, which I seem to have in abundance lately - it really wasn't hard to do on a slim budget.

FYI: I have posted a more complete birthday album on facebook, though you need an account to view my photos at that website.

2 comments:

kcknoles said...

such a cute party idea!! looks like tons of fun! Hey...I didn't know you had a facebook account??!! I tried to find you to add you to my friends, but there were a couple Karen Hohn's with no picture. So...you should find me and add me to your list! Facebook is so addictive....

Hope all is well in Illinois!

Sherrie said...

Looks like everyone had lots of fun. And -- what the party planner you are. You go all out! :) I always have good intentions for crafts/games, but typically just stick to "pin the tail on (insert theme)". We're trying to narrow down b-day themes for the big FIVE over here!